So…your organization just got a new executive. Maybe she’s your boss…or your boss’s boss.
Just how much power does she have? Do the higher-ups have confidence in her?
- Does he appoint someone new to a key post?
- Does she create a new post and bring in her own candidates?
- Does he replace somene in a key position who’s been around awhile?
These actions suggest increased power.
Does the new executive implement a new policy that creates annoyance but doesn’t contribute to the bottom line?
- Replace the dog-friendly workplace with a strict “no dogs in the office” policy?
- Cancel the “Friendly Friday” summer dress code?
- Demand more from employees without offering compensation?
That’s someone without much power who’s strutting his stuff. Even if he’s CEO, he’s got a Board watching over him and he’s nervous.